Here is a family favorite recipe of ours using several things from the garden. It is a easy and tasty way to cram in quite a few veggies making it a complete meal. It makes a lot so we can all have leftovers the next day or it is a good meal to take to someone. My wife has even made two 8×8 pans of this, one to eat, and one to freeze for later. It only requires a few dishes so clean-up is quick which is a big bonus!
My wife found the taco seasoning recipe via Pinterest. Read the labels on those store bought packets of seasonings and mixes…gross. The blog Deals to Meals has made it easy to make not only taco seasoning but Italian Dressing, Ranch Dressing or Dip and lots more. It is a big time and money saver to make a big batch of them, store them in a glass jar, and even write the recipe on the jar in a sharpie and you won’t have to hunt it down when you run out.
1 lb. ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell peppers
1 cup chopped yellow squash and/or zucchini squash
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
1 can rinsed and drained black beans
1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes or diced tomatoes with green chiles
1/3 cup of water
4-5 tbs. taco seasoning, less or more to taste. Find the homemade recipe we use here
8 flour tortillas
1-2 cups sour cream
2-3 cups shredded mexican blend or Monterey Jack Cheese
1. Brown the ground beef, onion, and peppers. Drain if necessary.
2. Add water, tomatoes, squash, taco seasoning and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
3. Stir in black beans and corn to warm.
4. In a 9×13 baking dish sprayed with cooking spray, layer ingredients like a lasagna. Repeat four times.
- 2 tortilla shells
- a thin smear of sour cream
- 2 large spoonfuls of meat mixture
- handful or two of cheese
5. Cover with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted in a 350 oven. Let sit for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro and serve.